Flood Insurance

Flood insurance is an insurance policy that covers damages to property caused by flooding. Flood damage is not covered by a homeowners policy. For homeowners, this type of insurance can cover not only structural damage caused by flooding but also personal property such as furniture and appliances. Renters are also able to purchase a flood policy to protect their personal property. Homeowners in high risk areas may be required to carry flood insurance by their mortgage company. A good way to know whether property damage would be covered by a homeowners policy versus a flood policy is that if the water touches the ground before reaching the home, such as rising water, the claim would be filed under flood insurance. If the water enters the home without touching the ground first, such as broken pipes or a faulty roof, the claim would be filed under a homeowners policy.